Clay forming is a crafting method that allows the player to place tiny cubes of clay together to form a shape. This mechanic is similar to knapping stone tools, where voxels must be added or removed to create the desired object. Molds, pots and other items made by clay forming must be burned in a firepit before use. Burned items turn into a dark color and have "burned" added to their name.
Clay deposits are commonly found in temperate climates. Go ahead and dig up a bunch. You can also craft a flint shovel to speed up the process. There are different types of clay in the world, blue clay and fire clay. For tool molds and items like bowls and pots you can use any kind of clay, but the bloomery must be built with fire clay.
1. Select clay in your hand. (blue clay is shown left and fire clay is shown right)
2. Look at the top of a solid block and (sneak) press Shift + Right Click to open the clay molding menu
3. Select the recipe, and you will see the clay molding grid appear. To craft the chosen mold or item, you must fill (right mouse click) in all the green marked voxels to place clay and remove (left mouse click) any clay blocks outside of the grid, which are marked orange. It's helpful to press 'G' to sit on the ground while crafting with clay molds. Also, you can press 'F' while crafting to access the tool menu that will allow you to change your "brush size" and place more or less blocks at a time (1x1, 2x2 and 3x3) with each click. The last option in the tool menu 'Copy' also allows you to quickly duplicate layers of clay. As you complete each layer of the clay item, the next layer will appear for you to complete.
4. When the item is complete, the dialog boxes will disappear. You can then "break" the item to pick it up.
5. Bake the clay item. Put your raw clay item into the top left slot of the firepit, and add fuel to the bottom slot. When completed, the item will transfer to the right side (output) of the firepit. Burned items turn into a dark color and have "burned" added to their name. Baked items can be placed on the ground via Shift + Right click, and many items can be picked up again using right click when your hand is empty.
Clay Items and Molds
Molds to cast tools
- Ingot Mold (one or two)
- Anvil Mold
- Axehead Mold
- Hammerhead Mold
- Hoehead Mold
- Pickaxehead Mold
- Prospector's Pickaxe head Mold
- Shovelhead Mold
- Swordblade Mold
- Bowl (one or four)
- Claypot (one or four)
- Flowerpot (one or four)
- Crucible (one or four)
- Watering can
Clay Item Cost
|mold or item||# clay|
|Pick, Sword, Hammer, Hoe||12|
|Clay pot (cooking pot)||4|
|Vintage Story: Vanilla Game Content|
|Terrain blocks||Gravel Sand Soil Rock|
|Metal Working||Anvil Crucible Forge Ingot Mold|
|Functional||Firepit Ore blasting bomb Loot Vessels Containers Quern|
|Tools & Weapons||Axe Hammer Hoe Knife Pickaxe Prospecting Pick Saw Scythe Shears Shovel Bow Spear Sword Club|
|Plants||Cattail Flax Onion Parsnip Rice Rye Soybean Spelt Turnip Flowers Trees Berries|
|Mobs||Bighorn sheep Chicken Drifter Locust Wild Pig Wolf Hyena|
|Starter Guide Crafting Recipes Fuel Agriculture Mining Metal Beekeeping Ruins Combat Smithing Clay Forming Light sources|