Knapping is used to make primitive tool and weapon heads. Knapping is one of the first types of crafting available to players in the game.
To begin knapping, collect two loose stones: granite, andesite, basalt, peridotite, obsidian, chert, or flint and place them in an active hotbar slot.
Stone Tool Availability
- Axe: (Harvesting) Damages Wood, Leaf and plant blocks including trees, logs, planks, fences, gates and wooden building components. Used to create firewood in the crafting grid
- Bow/Flint Arrows: (Weapon) Damages Mobs; used as a ranged weapon.
- Hoe: (Crafting) Used in farming to convert soil into farmland.
- Knife: (Harvesting) Damages Plant blocks; used to harvest meat from animals, grass, wild plants including Cooper's Reed and crops for farming. Used in leather working, crafting wood items.
- Shovel: (Harvesting) Damages Terrain blocks including Soil, Clay, Peat, Sand, and Gravel. Used to harvest terrain blocks or terraform the landscape
- Spear: (Weapon) Damages Mobs; used as a melee combat or ranged weapon.
Loose stones and flint can be found on the ground when foraging. Break (Left Mouse Button) to collect. By order of resulting tool strength, the following stones are best for knapping: obsidian - flint - all other stone types.
- Placing Flint: Sneak and place (Sneak + Right Mouse Button) on a solid block to place the small stone on the ground. When performed with flint, a small dialog box will immediately open.
- Placing Small Stones: When using stone types other than flint, the small stone will be placed on the ground. Continue to hold shift and press RMB with the stone highlighted a second time to open the knapping dialog box.
- Selecting the tool: Using the dialog box, select the type of tool head to make.
- Shaping the head: Use the second stone (of the same type) to remove all voxels marked in orange (Left Mouse Button). As of game version 1.12, removing the voxels outlining the tool head will remove all extra voxels.
Don't worry about making mistakes, the game prevents players from breaking the parts required to shape the tool. If another player has the same type of stone, he or she can work on the piece as well to complete the tool head faster. Additionally, only the voxels directly around the actual tool need to be removed - voxels that get "cut off" from the main body will automatically vanish. When the tool head is completed, it will jump into the inventory of the player who removes the last voxel.
Finishing Stone Tools
To complete the tool, place the tool head in the crafting grid and add a stick for a handle. With flint players can make an axe, hoe, knife, shovel, spear and arrowheads. With any other stone, players can make all of the tools listed above except arrowheads. Tool heads made of flint or obsidian tend to last longer than counterparts made of andesite, basalt, granite, or peridotite.
Video Tutorial: How to Knap Stone Tools
Thanks to SmileOnSpeedDial for creating and sharing with the VS community!
|Main Page: Vanilla Game Content|
|Terrain Blocks||Clay Gravel Peat Rock Sand Soil|
|Construction Blocks||Ceramic Blocks Glass Planks Plaster Soil Blocks Stone Blocks Path|
|Functional Blocks||BarrelWooden Bucket Bed Containers Firepit Forge Loot Vessels Ore blasting bomb Trough|
|Decorative Blocks||Paintings Carpets Bookshelves Flowerpots Wallpapers|
|Metal Working||Anvil Bloomery Crucible Forge Helve hammer Molds Metal Gemstone|
|Tools & Weapons||Axe Bow Chisel Cleaver Club Hammer Hoe Knife Pickaxe Prospecting Pick Saw Scythe Shears Shovel Spear Sword|
|Equipment||Armor Clothes Containers|
|Craftable Resources||Boards Charcoal Coke Firewood Ingots Leather Flax|
|Plants||Berry Bushes Cooper's Reed (Cattail) Flowers Grass Other Plants Trees Wild Foods|
|Mobs||Bees Bighorn sheep Chicken Drifter Fox Hare Hyena Locust Raccoon Wild Pig Wolf|
|Mechanics||Animal Husbandry Beekeeping Casting Clay Forming Combat Farming Cooking Knapping Mechanical Power Mining Smithing Trading Temporal Stability|
|Crafting Recipes Fuel Leather Working Light sources Ore Deposits Ruins Starter Guide World Generation|