Tools and Weapons
This page is an overview summarizing how to craft all types of tools and weapons. (The term "Tools" is used throughout this article to denote "Tools and Weapons" since a weapon is a specialized type of tool.) Making tools is a multi-step process that involves different kinds of crafting, including knapping, casting, and smithing to create tool heads. All heads are then hafted by adding a stick as a handle using the crafting grid.
Tools don't come easy in Vintage Story and they shouldn't! In real life, these things aren't easy to make, so it's challenging yet rewarding to obtain these when playing.
The raw material used to create the tool head determines the crafting process required:
- Tier 1: Stone tools are made by knapping. Stone tools made of flint or other stones are weak, but these are the only early game option.
- Tier 2: Copper tools can be made by casting or smithing, although all tools can be made from copper, not all tools can be made using the casting mechanic.
- Tier 3: Bronze alloy tools can be made by casting or smithing, although all tools can be made from bronze alloys, not all tools can be made using the casting mechanic.
- Tier 4: Iron tools can only be made by smithing. All available tools can be smithed from iron except the spear.
- Note: Tier 2 tools can also be crafted from the rare base metals gold and silver.
The material selected to create the tool determines the tier of the tool. In general, higher tier tools have more durability (last longer); provide more attack power (damage per action); and have higher mining speeds (faster to use). Higher tier tools require advanced material processing and crafting processes to create. Specific pages for each tool include the stats (values) for tools crafted using different material tiers.
- Special Cases: The bow and the club are tools crafted from wood. Wood items do not have material "tiers" affecting durability, mining speed, or attack power. Arrowheads can be crafted from different tiers of materials, and are discussed on the bow page in more detail.
Note: All stone tools except arrowheads can be crafted from Andesite, Basalt, Flint, Granite, Peridotite, and Obsidian. Arrowheads may only be created from flint.
All tools may be used as weapons, some tools are primarily used as "weapons" that damage mobs. For other information about weapons, see the combat page or pages about individual weapons.
- Attacking a mob (melee combat): place the tool in an active hotbar slot and press or hold left mouse button to strike the target.
- Attacking a mob (Axe/Spear: ranged combat): place the axe or spear in an active hotbar slot and press right mouse button to cast the weapon at the target.
- Attacking a mob (Bow: ranged combat): place the bow in an active hotbar slot and hold right mouse button to charge the bow. Releasing the mouse button fires the arrow.
- Breaking a block or harvesting a material: place the tool in an active hotbar slot and press or hold left mouse button until the block breaks and the block or resource drops.
- Grid crafting: place the tool in the grid crafting slot with the material to process. Removing the product from the output slot of the grid uses the tool. When complete, remove the tool from the grid, or close the interface by pressing 'E' to replace the tool into the inventory or hotbar.
The primary use of each tool is provided in the list below:
- Axe: Damages Wood, Leaf and plant blocks including trees, logs, planks, fences, gates and wooden building components. Used to craft firewood (grid crafting); may be used as a ranged weapon
- Bow/Arrow: Damages Mobs; used as a ranged weapon
- Chisel: Used with the hammer to polish rock or create stone bricks or carving wooden gears and axles in the crafting grid
- Club: Damages Mobs; used as a melee combat weapon
- Hammer: Used in smithing, and to crush stones/ores in the crafting grid when no quern is available.
- Hoe: Used in farming to convert soil into farmland.
- Knife: Damages Plant blocks; used to harvest meat from animals, grass, wild plants including Cooper's Reed and crops for farming. Used in leather working, crafting wood items.
- Pickaxe: Damages Rock, Stone and Ceramic blocks; used to harvest Rock and ores.
- Propick: Damages Rock and Stone blocks; used to detect the presence of ores when mining
- Saw: Used in grid crafting to create boards (the primary component required to create wooden items and blocks), cutting glass into slabs, and carving wooden gears.
- Scythe: Damages Plant blocks; used in farming to harvest crops or collect grass
- Shears: Damages Leaf blocks including Branchy Leaf Blocks. Used primarily for harvesting saplings and sticks from trees.
- Shovel: Damages Terrain blocks including Soil, Clay, Peat, Sand, and Gravel. Used primarily for harvesting terrain blocks or terraforming the landscape.
- Spear: Damages Mobs; used as a melee combat or ranged weapon
- Sword: Damages Mobs; used as a melee combat weapon
Tools are items commonly use by players and are generally equipped in the hotbar. Tool items do not stack in inventory or when placed in containers. The tool rack is a specialized wall mounted storage container that allows players to store tools. Tool racks are made of 6 sticks in the drafting grid and once placed, can store 4 tools each. Tools are placed from an active hotbar slot and removed using the right mouse button to an empty space in the hotbar.
Combined Weapon Tables
|Name||Flint||Copper||Tin Bronze||Bismuth Bronze||Black Bronze||Gold||Silver||Iron|
- Bow has 150 durability
- Wooden club has 100 durability.
- In addition to higher durability, metal tools have faster mining speeds.
|Name||Attack Range||Flint||Copper||Tin Bronze||Bismuth Bronze||Black Bronze||Gold||Silver||Iron|
|3.5||1 (3.5)||2.5 (4.25)||3.5 (4.75)||3 (4.75)||4 (5.25)||3 (4.5)||3 (4.5)|
- Numbers in () is projectile damage
- Wooden club has 0 range and 1 damage
- Stick has 2.5 range and .5 damage
|Main Page: Vanilla Game Content|
|Terrain Blocks||Clay Gravel Peat Rock Sand Soil|
|Construction Blocks||Ceramic Blocks Glass Planks Plaster Soil Blocks Stone Blocks Path|
|Functional Blocks||BarrelWooden Bucket Bed Containers Firepit Forge Loot Vessels Ore blasting bomb Trough|
|Decorative Blocks||Paintings Carpets Bookshelves Flowerpots Wallpapers|
|Metal Working||Anvil Bloomery Crucible Forge Helve hammer Molds Metal Gemstone|
|Tools & Weapons||Axe Bow Chisel Cleaver Club Hammer Hoe Knife Pickaxe Prospecting Pick Saw Scythe Shears Shovel Spear Sword|
|Equipment||Armor Clothes Containers|
|Craftable Resources||Boards Charcoal Coke Firewood Ingots Leather Linen|
|Plants||Berry Bushes Cooper's Reed (Cattail) Flowers Grass Other Plants Trees Wild Foods|
|Mobs||Bees Bighorn sheep Chicken Drifter Fox Hare Hyena Locust Raccoon Wild Pig Wolf|
|Mechanics||Animal Husbandry Beekeeping Casting Clay Forming Combat Farming Cooking Knapping Mechanical Power Mining Smithing Trading Temporal Stability|
|Crafting Recipes Fuel Leather Working Light sources Ore Deposits Ruins Starter Guide World Generation|