Charcoal is a player created fuel resource.
Charcoal is created in charcoal pits, which are chambers or sealed spaces where enclosed stacks of firewood are burned.
Building a Charcoal Pit
- Place firewood in stacks. (Players may choose to dig a pit, as shown in the graphic below, or place stacks above ground.)
- Create an airtight shell by enclosing the stacks in dirt blocks or any non-combustible block, but leave one block on top of the pit open.
- Build a firepit directly on top of the accessible stack of firewood at the top of the pit.
- Quickly seal the pit by placing one block on top of the fire pit. (Players have 30 seconds to seal the shell or the process will not work)
- The pile will create smoke particles, indicating that the process is taking place.
- When the pile stops smoking (18 game hours), the process is complete.
- Remove the shell and collect the charcoal using bare hands or a shovel
Dimensions and Considerations
- If the charcoal pile is not sealed within 30 seconds of ignition, charcoal will not be produced and the firewood will burn to ash.
- The maximum size of any charcoal pit extends 11 blocks in any direction. The largest volume of material that can be processed in one pit is therefore 11³ or 1,331 blocks.
Charcoal is the first type of fuel capable of generating temperatures high enough (1300°C) to smelt metal ores such as Copper (1084°C). Charcoal is used as fuel for the firepit in casting, in the bloomery and in the forge when smithing.
Charcoal can be used as the Carbon Black pigment when labeling chests and signs.
Charcoal may be carried in player inventory, or stored in containers.
|Main Page: Vanilla Game Content|
|Terrain Blocks||Clay Gravel Peat Rock Sand Soil|
|Construction Blocks||Ceramic Blocks Glass Planks Plaster Soil Blocks Stone Blocks Path|
|Functional Blocks||BarrelWooden Bucket Bed Containers Firepit Forge Loot Vessels Ore blasting bomb Trough|
|Decorative Blocks||Paintings Carpets Bookshelves Flowerpots Wallpapers|
|Metal Working||Anvil Bloomery Crucible Forge Helve hammer Molds Metal Gemstone|
|Tools & Weapons||Axe Bow Chisel Cleaver Club Hammer Hoe Knife Pickaxe Prospecting Pick Saw Scythe Shears Shovel Spear Sword|
|Equipment||Armor Clothes Containers|
|Craftable Resources||Boards Charcoal Coke Firewood Ingots Leather Linen|
|Plants||Berry Bushes Cooper's Reed (Cattail) Flowers Grass Other Plants Trees Wild Foods|
|Mobs||Bees Bighorn sheep Chicken Drifter Fox Hare Hyena Locust Raccoon Wild Pig Wolf|
|Mechanics||Animal Husbandry Beekeeping Casting Clay Forming Combat Farming Cooking Knapping Mechanical Power Mining Smithing Trading Temporal Stability|
|Crafting Recipes Fuel Leather Working Light sources Ore Deposits Ruins Starter Guide World Generation|