Vintage Story Original Soundtrack
|Vintage Story Original Soundtrack|
|Music Artist: Lo-Phi|
|Released: June 11, 2017|
|Producer: Hayden Davenport|
|Artwork Artist: Jessie Rogers|
|Logo Artist: Nactfalter|
The album was first released on the bandcamp platform on Jun 11, 2017.
The current publicly available version of the soundtrack has 20 music tracks and is listed as version 1.8.5. It is updated periodically to reflect the music assets found within Vintage Story, and is available for purchase with a "name your price" option (this includes $0).
Vintage Story Original Soundtrack
- The Setting Sun
- Night to Day
- Vintage Story
- Sunny Village
- Through the Grass at Night
- To Dawn, from a Very Rainy Night
- Peaceful Village
- Resonance Archive - The Seraphs
- Quirky Tavern
- Cultured Tavern
The official Vintage Story Original Soundtrack playlist on YouTube is linked below:
Instrumentation & Production
The Vintage Story original soundtrack heavily features bell-like piano and tine sounds, as well as downsampled SoundFonts, and modern synthesizers (such as Alchemy). Story-related tracks tend to feature more orchestral instruments, especially string sections. All of the instruments are controlled via MIDI within Logic Pro X, as there are no live recordings.
Currently, all of the music (excluding the Deep Underground music) spawns client-side based on a simple daily schedule within each game mode. Each track has a set range of in-game time in which it can start playing.
Deep Underground music is generated on the fly when the code determines that a player is underground. It works by piecing together bits of pre-rendered chromatic musical material. Occasionally a full piece of music utilizing the same instrumentation will be selected instead.
Since the album has only been released digitally, Lo-Phi periodically updates the soundtrack online. There are a few tracks that can only be played in-game; he has plans to include these on the soundtrack eventually.
On Sep 8, 2018, Lo-Phi released 5 unfinished versions of potential tracks within the #devlog channel inside of the Vintage Story Discord Server. Although they are subject to change, finished versions might eventually become part of the Vintage Story soundtrack. Lo-Phi has also stated that he would eventually like the in-game music generation system to be more complex.
There are plans to include bonus content with digital album downloads eventually.
Additional Information / Trivia
- The "Survive and Build" and "Creative Building" have slightly different soundtracks. While there is plenty of overlap, some tracks are only found in one mode, while other tracks have separate versions depending on which mode the player is playing.
- The currently functionless in-game block called "Echo Chamber" contains a hidden reference to the game's composer, Lo-Phi.
- The soundtrack's order is based on the order in which each piece of music was composed.
- Several of the game's music tracks were named by Luke, the game's story writer.
- v1.0.0 - [Jun 11, 2017] Album Released
- ... [Undocumented Changes]
- v1.4.4 - Added 'The Seraphs' track
- v1.6.4 - Added 'Winter' and 'Daylight' tracks
- v1.8.4 - [Jun 28, 2018] Added 'Quirky Tavern' and 'Cultured Tavern' tracks
- v1.8.5 - [Jun 28, 2018] Remastered 'The Seraphs' track to be louder
- v1.8.7 - [Oct 11, 2018] Slightly altered 'Quirky Tavern' and 'Cultured Tavern' to have less abrupt transitions