* Ensure your system meets the minimum requirements
* Windows Update or Windows Defender might be active in the background doing updates or scans
* Antivirus/anti-malware/firewall programs may be affecting performance
* Close other programs to free up resources
* Please ensure the system is sufficiently cooled as some systems slow down if they get too hot. (Make sure air vents are not covered and cooling elements and fans are free from dust for example; if you have a laptop, raise it off the desk slightly so it has better airflow underneath it.)
* Please ensure a sufficiently rated power supply is used. Gaming on battery power is not recommended on laptops as they might choose to run slower in a lower power mode. If you need to play on battery mode, you can extend the playable battery life by reducing the Max FPS to 30 fps and using VSync mode 'On + Sleep' in Vintage Story's graphics settings.
* Mods can use additional resources: fancy shader mods really need a
decent gaming rig.
* Check that the system is not overheating or thermal throttling - see [[Framerate and Performance]].
* Please do not run the game from an external drive or network share.