From Vintage Story Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Other languages:
English • ‎русский
Pumpkin farm.png

Pumpkins are unique plants and have very different growth behaviours from other crops.

Acquiring Seeds

Pumpkins are not found as wild crops, instead seeds are rarely found inside loot vessels.
After successfully planting and harvesting pumpkins, further seeds can be crafted from the full pumpkin fruits by simply putting them into the crafting grid. This however makes careful calculation in pumpkin planting necessary, as one full pumpkin will only turn into one seed.

On multiplayer servers, it might be easier to trade established players for seeds rather than trying to find your own.

Crop Properties

Required Nutrient: P
Nutrient Consumption: 30
Growth Stages: 7
Total Growth Days: 3.5

Pumpkin Mother Plant

Pumpkins consist of three main components: The mother plant, vines and the fruit. The mother plant follows the growth behavior defined in the crop properties and behaves the way other crops do. However, once the plant reaches stage 3 or above it has a 50% chance to spawn a stage 1 vine on any of the 4 adjacent sides as long as the the position is occupied by air or a block with replaceable >= 6000 and that the supporting block (underneath) is solid. After 6 in game days it will no longer spawn vines.

Vine behavior

A vine will advance 1 stage every 12 in-game hours. During stage 2 it has a 50% change to spawn another stage 1 vine. The vine has a 75% chance to spawn in the opposite direction of the parent and a 25% to spawn to the left or right. Six in-game hours after reaching stage 3, this new vine has a 50% chance of becoming a flowering stage 3 vine.

  • At the beginning and end of each time interval, a flowering stage 3 vine has:
    • A 50% chance to spawn a pumpkin on any of the 4 adjacent sides (if free)
    • A 50% chance to revert to a normal stage 3 vine
    • After 3 time intervals it will turn back into a normal stage 3 vine

General guidelines

The vines rarely spread beyond 4 away from the mother plant. The longer vines grow straight out from the pumpkin therefore if planting seeds in a straight line, leave at least 8 blocks between mother plants. Plants will yield roughly 2.6 pumpkins on average.
On occasions, a maximum range of 6 has been encountered for the vines, with pumpkins growing at a distance of 7 to the mother plant. These are, however, rarely seen.

Vanilla Game Content
Terrain Blocks

Rawclay blue.pngClay Grid Gravel Granite.pngGravel Peat.pngPeat Grid Rock granite.pngRock Grid Granite sand.pngSand Grid Barren low fertility soil.pngSoil

Construction Blocks

Claybricks-blue.pngCeramic Blocks Glass-plain.pngGlass Planks-oak.pngPlanks Grid Diagonal logs plaster.pngPlaster Grid Cob.pngSoil Blocks Grid Polished Granite.pngStone Blocks Grid Stone path.pngPath

Functional Blocks

Grid Barrel.pngBarrel Grid Woodbucket.pngWooden Bucket Bed-wood-head-north.pngBed Chest-east.pngContainers Firepit lit.pngFirepit Forge.pngForge Grid Loot Vessel.pngCracked Vessels Grid Ore blasting bomb.pngOre blasting bomb Grid Large trough.pngTrough

Decorative Blocks

Grid Painting.pngPainting Mediumcarpet-turqoise-ns.pngCarpets Bookshelves-ns.pngBookshelves Flowerpot-earthern-empty.pngFlowerpots Agedwallpaperplanks-green-east.pngWallpapers Salvation.pngTapestry

Metal Working

Grid Copper anvil.pngAnvil Bloomery.pngBloomery Grid Crucible burned.pngCrucible Forge.pngForge Grid Tin bronze helve hammer.pngHelve_hammer Ingot Mold Burned.pngMolds Grid Copper Ingot.pngMetal Gem-emerald-rough.pngGemstone

Tools & Weapons

Grid Copper axe.pngAxe Bow-simple.pngBow Grid Copper Chisel.pngChisel Grid copper cleaver.pngCleaver Grid Wooden club.pngClub Grid Copper hammer.pngHammer Hoe-copper.pngHoe Knife-copper.pngKnife Pickaxe-copper.pngPickaxe Grid Copper prospecting pick.pngProspecting Pick Grid Copper saw.pngSaw Scythe-copper.pngScythe Grid Copper shears.pngShears Shovel-copper.pngShovel Grid Copper spear.pngSpear Sword-copper.pngSword


Armor-body-brigandine-iron.pngArmor Clothes-upperbody-lackey-shirt.pngClothes Grid Backpack.pngBags

Craftable Resources

Grid Oak board.pngBoards Charcoal.pngCharcoal Coke.pngCoke Grid Firewood.pngFirewood Grid Copper Ingot.pngIngots Grid Raw hide.pngLeather Flaxtwine.pngFlax


Berrybush red currant ripe.pngBerry Bushes Grid mushroom bolete.pngMushrooms Grid Cattail tops.pngCooper's Reed (Cattail) Flower-californiapoppy.pngFlowers Tallgrass-tall.pngGrass Tallfern.pngOther Plants Sapling-oak.pngTrees Sapling-oak.pngFruit Trees Flax.pngWild Foods


BeeMob.pngBees Bighorn.pngBighorn sheep Rooster.pngChicken Normal Drifter.pngDrifter Fox(Male).pngFox Hare-male-lightbrown.pngHare Hyena.pngHyena Locust.pngLocust Raccoon.pngRaccoon Pig.pngWild Pig Wolf.pngWolf


Pig.pngAnimal Husbandry Grid Empty skep.pngBeekeeping Grid Crucible burned.pngCasting Grid Blue clay.pngClay Forming Sword-copper.pngCombat Hoe-copper.pngFarming Bread-spelt.pngCooking Bone.pngHealth Flax.pngSatiety Grid Flint arrow head.pngKnapping Grid Angled Gears.pngMechanical Power Pickaxe-copper.pngMining Grid Copper anvil.pngSmithing Creature-humanoid-trader-treasurehunter.pngTrading Gear-temporal.pngTemporal Stability Grid Copper hammer.pngSteel Making


Grid Lore Book.pngCrafting Recipes Charcoal.pngFuel Grid Raw hide.pngLeather Working Torch.pngLight sources Grid Copper Chunk.pngOre Deposits Grid Ruins.pngRuins Grid Lore Scroll.pngStarter Guide Berrybush blueberry ripe.pngWorld Generation