Panning is method to acquire metal ores from sand and gravel terrain blocks. Specially useful while in early game.
- A Wooden Pan, crafted using a piece of log with a knife beside it in the crafting grid.
- Gravel, sand or bony soil blocks. Each block can be panned 8 times.
- Note: Even though Muddy Gravel has the word Gravel in its name, it cannot be panned.
Wooden Pan's Craft Recipe
In order to pan a block, a player must perform the following steps:
- Place the pan in the hotbar and equip it in the active hand.
- Place the sand or gravel block (to be panned) on dry land (not touching water).
- Fill the pan by aiming the crosshairs at the gravel or sand block and using Right Mouse Button.
- Stand in a water block.
- Wash the pan by pressing Right Mouse Button while in a water block and wait until the pan is empty. Any items recovered from the process will transfer to the player's hotbar or inventory.
- Note: You can remain the in a water block during the whole process.
- Note 2: Partially panned blocks will disappear when destroyed or touched by water, so be careful where to place your sand or gravel blocks.
Panning can provide players with a number of useful items including small stones for crafting, flint, ore nuggets (copper, zinc) and quartz chunks or clay. Panning can also provide rusty gears, arrowheads, and other treasures. The item obtained and its chance will depend on the type of block panned.
|Panning tutorial in version 1.13|
|Main Page: Vanilla Game Content|
|Terrain Blocks||Clay Gravel Peat Rock Sand Soil|
|Construction Blocks||Ceramic Blocks Glass Planks Plaster Soil Blocks Stone Blocks Path|
|Functional Blocks||BarrelWooden Bucket Bed Containers Firepit Forge Loot Vessels Ore blasting bomb Trough|
|Decorative Blocks||Painting Carpets Bookshelves Flowerpots Wallpapers Tapestry|
|Metal Working||Anvil Bloomery Crucible Forge Helve hammer Molds Metal Gemstone|
|Tools & Weapons||Axe Bow Chisel Cleaver Club Hammer Hoe Knife Pickaxe Prospecting Pick Saw Scythe Shears Shovel Spear Sword|
|Equipment||Armor Clothes Containers|
|Craftable Resources||Boards Charcoal Coke Firewood Ingots Leather Flax|
|Plants||Berry Bushes Mushrooms Cooper's Reed (Cattail) Flowers Grass Other Plants Trees Fruit Trees Wild Foods|
|Mobs||Bees Bighorn sheep Chicken Drifter Fox Hare Hyena Locust Raccoon Wild Pig Wolf|
|Mechanics||Animal Husbandry Beekeeping Casting Clay Forming Combat Farming Cooking Health Satiety Knapping Mechanical Power Mining Smithing Trading Temporal Stability Steel Making|
|Crafting Recipes Fuel Leather Working Light sources Ore Deposits Ruins Starter Guide World Generation|