The raw material used to create the tool head determines the crafting process required:
- Knapping: Any tool-making stones (produces 2 blades)
- Smithing (one ingot): crafted from the metals shown in the table (below).
Table: Tool Tiers
|Material||Durability||Material Tier||Mining Speed (Plant)||Attack Power (HP)||Attack Tier|
- To butcher animals: place the tool in an active hotbar slot and press Shift + hold right mouse button until the butchering interface opens, which indicates that butchering is complete. The small pop-up window contains animal products and resources including meat, bones, fat and raw hides. Products can be removed from this window and transferred to player inventory.
- To harvest plants: place the tool in an active hotbar slot and press or hold left mouse button until the block breaks and the block or resource drops.
- Special: Grass on soil blocks does not regenerate after harvesting with a knife. Grass on farmland blocks will regenerate.
Attacking a mob (melee combat): place the tool in an active hotbar slot and press or hold left mouse button to strike the target.
Place the knife in the grid crafting slot above or beside the item to be cut, carved, or scraped. Removing the (product) from the output slot of the grid uses the tool(s). When complete, remove the tool from the grid, or close the interface by pressing 'E' to replace the tool into an available space in the inventory or hotbar. (If a slot is not available, pressing 'E' will discard the item(s) on the ground.)
- The knife is used to craft
Tools are items commonly used by players and are generally equipped in the hotbar. Up to four tools can be placed on the tool rack, a specialized wall-mounted storage container. Knives do not stack in inventory or when placed in containers.
|Vintage Story: Vanilla Game Content|
|Terrain blocks||Soil Clay Peat Rock Gravel Sand|
|Construction Blocks||Soil Blocks Ceramic Blocks Planks Stone Blocks Plaster Glass|
|Functional Blocks||Firepit Loot Vessels Containers Bed Barrel Quern Forge Ore blasting bomb|
|Metal Working Blocks and Items||Anvil Bloomery Crucible Molds Forge Metal|
|Tools & Weapons||Axe Bow Chisel Club Hammer Hoe Knife Pickaxe Prospecting Pick Saw Scythe Shears Shovel Spear Sword|
|Craftable Resources||Boards Firewood Charcoal Ingots Leather Linen|
|Plants||Trees Berry Bushes Cooper's Reed (Cattail) Flowers Wild Foods Grass Other Plants|
|Mobs||Bees Bighorn sheep Chicken Wild Pig Fox Hare Hyena Wolf Drifter Locust|
|Starter Guide Crafting Recipes Ruins Combat Light sources Fuel Farming Cooking BeekeepingAnimal Husbandry Knapping Clay Forming Leather Working Ore Deposits Mining Casting Smithing|