The raw material used to create the tool head determines the crafting process required:
- Casting (100 units): Copper and Bronze alloy
- Smithing (1 ingot): Iron, Bronze alloy, copper (silver and gold)
Table: Tool Tiers
|Material||Durability||Material Tier||Attack Power (HP)||Attack Tier|
The hammer is the primary tool used in the crafting method smithing. Pressing the Left Mouse button "hits" the metal item on an anvil and changes the shape and location of voxels in the metal ingot based on the selected tool mode.
Smithing Hammer Modes
Press 'F' with a hammer in the active hand to view and change tool modes.
- Spread: (sunburst) spreads metal in all directions over three blocks,
- Single Direction: (arrow icons) 4 directional options move metal in the direction indicated by the arrows
- Cut: (wedge icon) removes a voxel of metal.
Hammers are not used to harvest materials, but are used to crush chunks of stone containing ores (mined with a pickaxe) and obtain smeltable nuggets.
Attacking a mob (melee combat): place the tool in an active hotbar slot and press or hold left mouse button to strike the target.
Place the hammer in the grid crafting slot above the item to be crushed. When using the hammer and chisel, generally the hammer is placed above the chisel, and the material to be processed is placed below the chisel. Removing the (product) from the output slot of the grid uses the tool(s). When complete, remove the tool from the grid, or close the interface by pressing 'E' to replace the tool into an available space in the inventory or hotbar. (If a slot is not available, pressing 'E' will discard the item(s) on the ground.)
- The hammer is used to
- Crush stones and mineral ores to powders.
- Crush chunks of rock containing ore to obtain metal nuggets
- The hammer + chisel is used to craft
- polished rock, polished slabs and stone bricks. See the stone block page for more information.
- The hammer + chisel + saw is used to craft
- Gears, axles and rotors in the crafting grid. See the mechanical power page for more information.
Tools are items commonly used by players and are generally equipped in the hotbar. Up to four tools can be placed on the tool rack, a specialized wall-mounted storage container. Hammers do not stack in inventory or when placed in containers.
|Vintage Story: Vanilla Game Content|
|Terrain blocks||Soil Clay Peat Rock Gravel Sand|
|Construction Blocks||Soil Blocks Ceramic Blocks Planks Stone Blocks Plaster Glass|
|Functional Blocks||Firepit Loot Vessels Containers Bed Barrel Quern Forge Ore blasting bomb|
|Metal Working Blocks and Items||Anvil Bloomery Crucible Molds Forge Metal|
|Tools & Weapons||Axe Bow Chisel Club Hammer Hoe Knife Pickaxe Prospecting Pick Saw Scythe Shears Shovel Spear Sword|
|Craftable Resources||Boards Firewood Charcoal Ingots Leather Linen|
|Plants||Trees Berry Bushes Cooper's Reed (Cattail) Flowers Wild Foods Grass Other Plants|
|Mobs||Bees Bighorn sheep Chicken Wild Pig Fox Hare Hyena Wolf Drifter Locust|
|Starter Guide Crafting Recipes Ruins Combat Light sources Fuel Farming Cooking BeekeepingAnimal Husbandry Knapping Clay Forming Leather Working Ore Deposits Mining Casting Smithing|