Chicken

From Vintage Story Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

The universal meat.

Chicken

File:

Chicken(Male).png

File:

Chicken(Female).png

File:

Chicken(Baby).png

Health
Health (Rooster/Hen) 3
Health (Chick) 1.5

}}

Attack
Base Attack (Rooster) 0.25
Base Attack (Hen/Chick) 0
Characteristics
Satiety to Mate (portions) 3
Incubation Time (days) 5
Growth Time (days) 7
Drops
Poultry 1 - 1.5*
Feathers 8 - 16*
Bone 0.5*


Chickens are one of the common animals found in the world, and are the main source of poultry, feathers, and eggs.

Spawning

Chickens will spawn in light levels 12 and higher, at temperatures down to -2, in areas with as little as 0.32 rainfall. They spawn in groups that average 4 individuals, but can include many more.

Behavior

Chickens will tend to wander around a small area aimlessly, usually in groups of 4 individuals. The chicks tend to stay close to the hens and the hens will try to stay close to roosters. All chickens will flee from the player on approach, generally moving directly away from the player when possible and are extremely difficult to hit while running. They don’t try to avoid obstacles and will fall straight off cliffs or into pits. Upon receiving damage, hens and chicks will try to flee, while roosters will either flee or directly attack the player.

Domestication and Breeding

After being rounded up in a pen, chicken can be fed with grain using a small trough. Hens will lay eggs on their own every 8-15 days, which can then be picked up and used as additives in meat stew and vegetable soups.

To produce fertile eggs a rooster will be necessary, with hens needing to eat at least 3 portions before they are ready to mate. A henbox is also required, as hens will lay eggs in a henbox by preference and will need to sit on them to incubate the eggs. Once the henbox has 3 eggs, a broody hen will sit on them until they hatch (5 days). Be careful not to spook them or the incubation period might take longer. If every henbox is occupied, hens wanting to lay may start laying eggs on the ground, from where they can be picked up. The player can also collect eggs from a henbox, by right-clicking.

Once the eggs hatch a chick will appear. Chicks will grow up after 168 hours, with a 90% chance to be a hens and only a 10% chance to be a rooster

Drops

Butcher the animal by right-clicking while crouching with a knife in the active hand to harvest its corpse.

An adult hen will drop:

  • 1-2 poultry
  • 8–16 feathers
  • 0–1 bones

An adult rooster will drop:

  • 1–2 poultry
  • 8–16 feathers
  • 0–1 bones

Killing a chick yields no items.


Main Page: Vanilla Game Content
Terrain Blocks Rawclay blue.pngClay Grid Gravel Granite.pngGravel Peat.pngPeat Grid Rock granite.pngRock Grid Granite sand.pngSand Grid Barren low fertility soil.pngSoil
Construction Blocks Claybricks-blue.pngCeramic Blocks Glass-plain.pngGlass Planks-oak.pngPlanks Grid Diagonal logs plaster.pngPlaster Grid Cob.pngSoil Blocks Grid Polished Granite.pngStone Blocks Grid Stone path.pngPath
Functional Blocks Grid Barrel.pngBarrelGrid Woodbucket.pngWooden Bucket Bed-wood-head-north.pngBed Chest-east.pngContainers Firepit lit.pngFirepit Forge.pngForge Grid Loot Vessel.pngLoot Vessels Grid Ore blasting bomb.pngOre blasting bomb Grid Large trough.pngTrough
Decorative Blocks Grid Painting.pngPaintings Mediumcarpet-turqoise-ns.pngCarpets Bookshelves-ns.pngBookshelves Flowerpot-earthern-empty.pngFlowerpots Agedwallpaperplanks-green-east.pngWallpapers Salvation.pngTapestry
Metal Working Grid Copper anvil.pngAnvil Bloomery.pngBloomery Grid Crucible burned.pngCrucible Forge.pngForge Grid Tin bronze helve hammer.pngHelve hammer Ingot Mold Burned.pngMolds Grid Copper Ingot.pngMetal Gem-emerald-rough.pngGemstone
Tools & Weapons Grid Copper axe.pngAxe Bow-simple.pngBow Grid Copper Chisel.pngChisel Grid copper cleaver.pngCleaver Grid Wooden club.pngClub Grid Copper hammer.pngHammer Hoe-copper.pngHoe Knife-copper.pngKnife Pickaxe-copper.pngPickaxe Grid Copper prospecting pick.pngProspecting Pick Grid Copper saw.pngSaw Scythe-copper.pngScythe Grid Copper shears.pngShears Shovel-copper.pngShovel Grid Copper spear.pngSpear Sword-copper.pngSword
Equipment Armor-body-brigandine-iron.pngArmor Clothes-upperbody-lackey-shirt.pngClothes Grid Backpack.pngContainers
Craftable Resources Grid Oak board.pngBoards Charcoal.pngCharcoal Coke.pngCoke Grid Firewood.pngFirewood Grid Copper Ingot.pngIngots Grid Raw hide.pngLeather Flaxtwine.pngFlax
Plants Berrybush red currant ripe.pngBerry Bushes Grid Cattail tops.pngCooper's Reed (Cattail) Flower-californiapoppy.pngFlowers Tallgrass-tall.pngGrass Tallfern.pngOther Plants Sapling-oak.pngTrees Flax.pngWild Foods
Mobs BeeMob.pngBees Bighorn.pngBighorn sheep Rooster.pngChicken Normal Drifter.pngDrifter Fox(Male).pngFox Hare-male-lightbrown.pngHare Hyena.pngHyena Locust.pngLocust Raccoon.pngRaccoon Pig.pngWild Pig Wolf.pngWolf
Mechanics Pig.pngAnimal Husbandry Grid Empty skep.pngBeekeeping Grid Crucible burned.pngCasting Grid Blue clay.pngClay Forming Sword-copper.pngCombat Hoe-copper.pngFarming Bread-spelt.pngCooking Flax.pngSatiety Grid Flint arrow head.pngKnapping Grid Angled Gears.pngMechanical Power Pickaxe-copper.pngMining Grid Copper anvil.pngSmithing Creature-humanoid-trader-treasurehunter.pngTrading Gear-temporal.pngTemporal Stability Grid Copper hammer.pngSteel Making
Guides
Grid Lore Book.pngCrafting Recipes Charcoal.pngFuel Grid Raw hide.pngLeather Working Torch.pngLight sources Grid Copper Chunk.pngOre Deposits Grid Ruins.pngRuins Grid Lore Scroll.pngStarter Guide Berrybush blueberry ripe.pngWorld Generation