The Barrel is a multipurpose functional block that is used to process raw materials into other resources by "barrel crafting".
Barrels are used as containers in which resources can be mixed to create processing solutions. The processing solutions are used to transform raw materials into finished resources, items or components for other processes. Barrel Processes include:
- Leather Working: Converting Raw hides into Leather
- Constructing Brick Blocks: Stone Brick and Clay Brick
- Food preservation: Salt Curing and Picking
- Add Solvent (Liquid): Add buckets of water or other solution (10 L increments) using right mouse button until the barrel holds the desired amount of liquid.
- Add Solute (Solid): Add powdered stone, mineral or other material ingredients in the single input/output slot.
- If the solution requires processing time, seal the barrel. Some solutions are created instantly (ex: brine, limewater) while others require time to process (ex: weak tannin = 24 game hours).
Once created, players may process materials in the barrel used to create the solution, or transfer the solution into other barrels using a bucket.
With the prepared solution in the barrel:
- Load Raw Materials: Access the barrel GUI using RMB. Insert the item to process in the single slot.
- Operation/Processing: Seal the barrel to begin the process. The barrel HUD will display the "remaining time to process" in game hours or days.
- Collecting Finished Products: When the process is complete, the barrel will open and the products processed form (products) can be removed from the single slot.
Special: If the barrel is sealed and processing a material, it cannot be broken to collect or otherwise moved until the process completes. If a barrel is unsealed but contains items, any liquid contents will "spill" upon breaking unless transferred using a bucket prior to moving the barrel. Solid items will not be lost and can be picked up as a stack.
Table: Solution Materials and Process
|Water||5||Lime||50||Limewater (Leather working)|
|Water||5||Logs, Oak||5||Tannin, Weak (Leather working)|
|Tannin, Weak||5||Logs, Oak||5||Tannin, Strong (Leather working)|
|Water||5||Salt||25||Brine, Picking (Food Preservation)|
|N/A||0||Salt||2/raw item||Salting, (Food Preservation)|
|Water||1||Quicklime||40||Slaked Lime (Mortar)|
- Note: Salt Curing does not require liquid; add salt (ground halite) to the barrel input slot prior to adding raw meat and seal.
Barrels do not stack. Barrels can be transported in player inventory, or stored in containers. The barrel does not require a tool to pick up. To collect a barrel, break (left mouse button) with bare hands or any other tool such as an axe.
|Vintage Story: Vanilla Game Content|
|Terrain blocks||Soil Clay Peat Rock Gravel Sand|
|Construction Blocks||Soil Blocks Ceramic Blocks Planks Stone Blocks Plaster Glass|
|Functional Blocks||Firepit Loot Vessels Containers Bed Barrel Quern Forge Ore blasting bomb|
|Metal Working Blocks and Items||Anvil Bloomery Crucible Molds Forge Metal|
|Tools & Weapons||Axe Bow Chisel Club Hammer Hoe Knife Pickaxe Prospecting Pick Saw Scythe Shears Shovel Spear Sword|
|Craftable Resources||Boards Firewood Charcoal Ingots Leather Linen|
|Plants||Trees Berry Bushes Cooper's Reed (Cattail) Flowers Wild Foods Grass Other Plants|
|Mobs||Bees Bighorn sheep Chicken Wild Pig Fox Hare Hyena Wolf Drifter Locust|
|Starter Guide Crafting Recipes Ruins Combat Light sources Fuel Farming Cooking BeekeepingAnimal Husbandry Knapping Clay Forming Leather Working Ore Deposits Mining Casting Smithing|